Many building projects use one Construction Project Manager (CPM) to handle the build phase, and then bring in another to handle post-construction duties. We’ve found that having one company do both has benefits for the project and the owner, including reduced cost.
During the post-construction phase, there are specific responsibilities that must be shouldered to ensure the project is properly completed. A post-construction project manager completes tasks like:
- Obtaining and coordinating close-out items like as-built drawings, operations and maintenance manuals, and warranties
- Helping to resolve outstanding contract issues, warranties, and bonds
- Preparing a final close-out report with recommendations regarding final payments and a notice of completion
- Creating a filing system for retrieval of close-out documentation
- Obtaining the building’s occupancy permit
- Assisting with the commissioning of the new building
- Providing necessary on-site training for the building’s operational team
Having one CPM handle all phases of construction management means these tasks, from building to post-construction, are completed seamlessly. It reduces the chance for communication errors and can be more economical if the project is costed out as line items on one job, instead being billed to multiple vendors. This also means fewer invoices, simplifying billing for the client.
As a single source CPM, Lenox Hill can offer these benefits:
- Reduced Liability – Lenox Hill acts as an agent on behalf of their clients, taking on associated risk and contractual responsibility for the completion of a project.
- Less Red Tape – Our CPMs take the hassle of post-construction paperwork off the client, assuming responsibility for items such as the Certificate of Substantial Completion, lien releases from sub-contractors and vendors, final sign-offs on City Permits, and more.
- Management of Punch List and Inspections – The final inspections and management of the punch list can be time-consuming for clients to manage. Our post-construction team will generate the final punch list of items and concerns then review and approve the final punch list when issues are resolved. In addition, they will be present during all inspections, including the preliminary and final walk-throughs.
- Oversight of Releases and Warranties – Lenox Hill receives the Lien Releases from sub-contractors, equipment rentals, vendors and material suppliers. In addition, we obtain all warranties and guarantees, and provide all of this information to the client in an organized system.
- Project Close Out – Lenox Hill post-construction managers take the headache out of the close-out tasks, such as approving all final payments and handling receipt of remaining documents. Our CPMs will obtain the final sign-off from the owner, stating that all items have been successfully completed. We ensure that final retention payments are made within 30 days after the project is completed.
If you’re planning a construction project, consider the benefits of hiring one CPM to handle all phases of the project, from pre- to post-construction. Not only will it reduce red tape and hassle, it can also save money.